The UK Design sector - economic snapshot
The value of the UK design industry
- Design is highly valued by UK business, with an estimated £33.5bn spent annually on design.
- Research conducted by the Design Council shows that despite the recession, the UK industry grew by 29 per cent between 2005 and 2010.
- Design increases turnover: In the UK, for every £1 invested in design, businesses can expect over £20 in increased revenues
- Design is linked to profit: For every £1 invested in design, businesses can expect over £4 increase in net operating profit
- Design boosts exports: For every £1 invested in design, businesses can expect a return of over £5 in increased exports
- UK firms cite design as increasingly important when combating the effects of recession. In 2008, 80 per cent of UK businesses believed that design would help them stay competitive. This figure rose to 97 per cent among rapidly growing companies
- Around 35 per cent of UK exports come from industries that employ higher-than-average concentrations of designers
- In the UK, businesses where design is integral to operations are twice as likely to have developed new products and services. Successful UK businesses and iconic brands such as Virgin, Jaguar Land Rover, O2, Dyson and Diageo all regard design as essential to innovation and market expansion.
Click here to see a Design Council video about how design can help growing businesses