Employment in creative economy
- Estimated number of UK jobs in film, TV, radio and photography in creative industries in 2016: 245,000.
Source: DCMS Sectors Economic Estimates, July 2018, DCMS.
Film industry companies AND EMPLOYMENT
- In 2013, there were more than 5,400 film production companies, over 2,200 post-production companies, 395 film distributors, and 215 exhibitors.
- The majority of companies were small (turnover under £250,000).
- The production, post-production and distribution sectors were concentrated in London and the South East, while the exhibition sector was more dispersed.
- Outside London and the South East there were significant production and post-production clusters in the East of England, South West, North West and Scotland.
Over 66,000 people worked in the UK film industry in 2013, of whom 42,000 worked in film and video production.
Just under half (45 per cent) of people working in film and video production were freelance.
- Most film businesses have fewer than 10 employees.
Source: 2014 BFI Statistical Yearbook.